5 Practical Ways to Hygge Your Home
He's doing it. She's doing it. You may even be doing it without even knowing about it.
I'm talking about hygge.
Hygge (pronounced hoo-gah) is a Nordic mindset of finding more meaningfulness and beauty in the most ordinary of things and/or moments in life. In English, this could be equated with the term, 'coziness'. You may already be the type of person who truly appreciates simplicity. You may even have already embraced this way of life in your home. For those who haven't, however, here are 5 practical ways you can hygge in your home.
1. Keep it simple. Scandinavian interiors are typically minimalistic in design. To get that true sense of coziness, tame the clutter, keeping only things of real use or the things that bring you real joy.
2. Think sustainably. The hygge way of life has a deep appreciation for nature, which includes things of nature, as well as things created from nature. Houseplants and natural materials are great places to start. Since going green isn't a new trend, bringing more eco-friendly products into your home shouldn't be difficult.
3. Make it personal. It's much easier to be cozy in a space where the items have meaning. The value of something often stems from the memories attached to it. Shop selectively, purchasing more items that have a story to go with them. If you have handmade furnishings, or furnishings of sentimental value, even better.
4. Light it up. Dim the harsh overhead lights--or skip them altogether. Instead, focus your attention to the soft glow of flickering candles. For a cozier effect, vary the heights. But remember to be careful, placing candles in safe areas. To keep it eco-friendly, shop for candles made of organic soy or beeswax.
5. Immerse yourself in good company. We all need our alone time, but when it comes to hygge, moments are more meaningful when shared with those we care about. Set the table for an intimate breakfast or dinner, or simply have people over for drinks and good conversation. When friends and family are nearby, you'll be experiencing hygge at its finest.