Metals, more commonly referred to as metallics, are quite popular these days. At one time, it was considered faux pas to mix metals but today, decorators are encouraging it. With a careful eye, you can easily create a beautiful balance of gold, silver and copper, giving your home visual textures that will make your space look eclectic, yet elegant.
Gold is classic, but when used in excess, it can turn gaudy quickly. To keep that from happening, be more deliberate in your choices. You may not think that you can have a big impact when only using it in small doses, but you can, especially if it’s unexpected or even whimsical.
Silver is the easiest metal to incorporate into your home’s décor. Timeless and unfortunately, often understated, silver can do beautiful things for your interior. A big plus of silver is its versatility. With options that include shiny and polished, muted and burnished, there’s something that will work with any design style thrown its way.
Copper is also very versatile. Not only is it strong and durable, it provides a warm and supple look. As with silver, copper comes in a variety of colors and textures, making it an ideal choice if you’re looking for something that will be flexible with any design style.
Some Tips to Consider
- Keep it simple. There’s no need to go overboard. A room only needs a few touches of metal to make decorating magic happen.
- Mix as much (or as little) as you want. Not only do metals mix well with each other, they also mix well with any color palette.
- Find the balance. The metals within your space should complement, not compete with your existing décor.
- Branch out to bigger things when called for. Metallic accessories and accents are great, but if you need something bigger, such as a metallic piece of furniture, then go for it!
Here are some décor ideas that might aid you on your path to metal mixing:
- Metallic glassware
- Sinks and/or faucets
- Drawer and cabinet hardware
- Pendant lighting, chandeliers or other light fixtures
- A shimmery pouf (ottoman)
- Metallic upholstery fabric
- Window treatments and/or hardware
- End tables or coffee tables
- Bed frames and headboards
As mentioned earlier, metallics are a beautiful thing and can add so much style and beauty to your home’s interior. It really doesn’t matter what your style is or how much metal you incorporate, even the slightest touch can be simply magnificent.
When you are looking for a designer interior fabric store near you in Dallas, TX, stop by our Cutting Corners location in Dallas, Tx for great deals on discount designer fabrics. You will find something for every home interior project from gorgeous drapery fabrics to lightweight cottons and luxurious Dupioni Silks.