Home decorating is different for everyone. For the beginner, it can be intimidating because you don’t know where to begin. For those more experienced, it can be overwhelming because you don’t know where stop. Whatever category you fall into, the experience of decorating your home doesn’t have to be a bad one. Here we’ll look at some basic tips, as well as some dos and some don’ts that will help you get your ideas off the ground.
Most people that would like to begin a decorating project already have lots of ideas in their head. Before you take action however, a critical thing to do is to lay out a plan. Without one, you could have a huge decorating disaster on your hands.
When it comes to your plan, think of it as a list. Things your list should contain are:
- Your decorating style (Traditional, Eclectic, Modern, etc)
- A color scheme built from colors you love
- Furniture and accessories you may need (start with what you have first)
- What your budget allowance is
Once you have this list in place, you’re ready to start taking the first step.
Basic Dos and Don’ts of Decorating
Here you’ll find some very important dos and don’ts that will help you achieve success.
- Do examine what you have and de-clutter as needed. Need help figuring out what should stay and go? Ask a friend or family member for help.
- Do give new life to pieces with strong bones. If it just needs a facelift, go for it. Not only will you save money, you’ll have the pride of repurposing something so it has new life.
- Do experiment with fabrics, paint colors, floor coverings and accents.
- Do create a floor plan and take measurements. If you don’t, you could end up purchasing something that won’t even fit through the door.
- Don’t paint the walls first. Paint is much easier to match to the décor than it is to match the décor to the paint.
- Don’t crowd the space with too much furniture or pieces that are too large for the space. Be selective and review your floor plan frequently.
- Don’t decorate for anyone but you. The space is yours, so be sure you decorate in a way that will reflect your style and personality.
- Don’t rush through it. Getting it right takes time.
When you are looking for a fabric store near you in Covington, stop by our Interior Fabrics location in Metairie, LA for great deals on discount designer fabrics. You will find something for every home interior project from gorgeous drapery fabrics to light weight cottons and luxurious Dupioni Silks.