Did you know that adding a little extra detail, like trim, within your space can have a big impact on the entire design? It’s true! Simply incorporating trim not only rounds out a room’s design and décor, it also adds an abundance of personality. But what exactly is trim and how can it be used? Let’s take a deeper look…
When we talk about trim, we mean those finishing touches that include tassels, pom-poms, fringe, piping (cording), and nail heads. These little embellishments go a long way, and can provide beautiful textures—especially in neutral or monochromatic spaces. Even if your home’s environment is one full of color, trimmings can still push the look of your interior to new heights.
Decorating with Trim
Decorative trim can complete the look of so many things in your home: pillows, lampshades, ottomans, chairs, sofas, duvets, window treatments, headboards and much more.
- Add a bit of whimsy to an overly sophisticated bedroom, or make kid’s bedding even more fun by putting pom-poms on some decorative pillows (note: in places with a lot of pillows don’t get overzealous—adding trim to one or two is enough)
- Make a lampshade shine even brighter by decking it out with some beaded fringe
- Cover a headboard in fabric and then use nail head trim to make it the focal point of the room
- Tie back drapery with tassels for a boost of sophistication or add mini tassels to the base of Roman shades to give them a customized look
- Sew a small bit of ruffle onto the bottom of a shower curtain to give it a feminine touch
- Enhance the look of your dining table by attaching fringe to a plain table runner
- Use festive braided cord to enhance your seasonal items
- Hang a large tassel on a doorknob to dress up an entryway
- Jazz up a boring bulletin board by gluing decorative ribbon to it in a crisscross pattern
These are just a handful of the many ways trim can be used. Not every item needs extra flair, so it’ll be up to you as to what just can’t live without it. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box for new ways to apply decorative trim to your personal items—as mentioned earlier, trim can be used on more than the obvious places.
Visit either of our two Tempe, Az area locations located inside of SWITCH Consignment to check out the latest designer upholstery fabrics available at amazing prices.