Did you know that it doesn’t take an experienced touch to get great decorating results? In most cases, all it takes is resorting to tried and true techniques to get the beautiful space you want. Whether you’re focusing on your entire home, or simply just a room, here are 10 key decorating tips that will offer no-fail improvement.
- Make paint color last on your list. There are an abundant number of paint colors with various tones, tints and shades. If you want to get it right, make paint the last thing you choose. It is much easier to match the paint with your furnishings than it is to match the furnishings to the paint.
- Resist crowding the room. There’s no need to fill a room with a lot of furniture. Be selective in your purchases, picking fewer pieces of higher quality. Not only will your pieces stand out more, you’ll be able to maneuver about the space with ease.
- Hang artwork at the appropriate height. The average human eye level is 57 inches, so that’s where you should aim. Keep in mind the hanging needs to relate to the human scale, rather than scale of the structure. Furthermore, consider hanging artwork together. Hanging multiple prints in a grid can have just as much impact as hanging one large piece of art.
- Create a focal point. Choose one thing and make it the star of the room. Trying to make several focal points only create visual confusion. Additionally, consider sight lines within the space. The focal point should draw you into a room, which is why the best spot is often directly across from the entrance to the room.
- Avoid diving headfirst into themes or trends. Themes often lack individuality and trends come and go quickly. Try to avoid getting in too deep with either one. Save themes and trends for small accents.
- Give in to your bold side. Don’t be afraid to make a statement by adding a touch of drama to your space. Incorporate the unexpected and enjoy the results.
- Arrange furniture on a rug the right way. There are 3 acceptable ways to arrange furniture on your rug: 1) with everything on it, 2) with everything off of it, or 3) with only the front legs on.
- Vary the scale. To keep visual interest, be sure to vary items in both scale and proportion. Grouping items in threes and fives also make arrangements more pleasing.
- Layer your lighting. Lighting plays a huge role in the look of a space, so take time to incorporate more when you can. Lamps, sconces, and lighting in cabinets are all good ways to bring in layers of light. When possible add a dimmer so you can enjoy a softer glow.
- Bring in your personal touches. Following decorating “guidelines” is okay, but don’t neglect to add touches of your own personality. Be creative and make sure the place reflects who you are.
Visit either of our two Mesa , Az area locations to check out the latest designer upholstery fabrics available at amazing prices.