December is upon us, which means it’s time to talk Pantone’s Color of the Year. Last week, the color experts announced that their pick for 2019 is Living Coral (PANTONE 16-1546), a shade of orange with a golden undertone.
What fueled the decision behind this playful hue? Apparently, our desire to have authentic relationships and experiences in an ever-changing digital world.
According to Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute, “Color is an equalizing lens through which we experience our natural and digital realities and this is particularly true for Living Coral...With consumers craving human interaction and social connection, the humanizing and heartening qualities displayed by the convivial Pantone Living Coral hit a responsive chord.”
The press release also added that the color “embraces us with warmth and nourishment to provide comfort and buoyancy in our continually shifting environment.”
How to Incorporate Living Coral into Your Decor
When used as a bold statement in settings and decor, Living Coral can give your interior a playful spirit, while also creating a warm and comforting feeling. From accessories to textiles and everything in between, here are 5 tips on how to incorporate Pantone’s Color of the Year into your decor in the year ahead.
- Use it as an accent color rather than a dominant color. Instead of splashing it everywhere, reserve it for something special. If you decide to brave painting something in this color, consider a single wall or a small furnishing like an accent table.
- Pair it with a grounding neutral. Layering a color like coral on a neutral foundation can really help it shine. Some neutrals to consider could include charcoal gray, white, taupe, and even brown.
- Add it to spaces that don’t get much light. Coral can really help brighten a space with its warm undertones.
- Introduce the color into your home in smaller, more affordable ways. This could include pillows, throws, linens, and other accessories like dishes.
- Purchase a single statement piece in Living Coral. Something like an accent chair, ottoman, or area rug in a color like this can ensure that it gets properly showcased.
Be sure to stop by our showroom to see what fabrics we have to complement your Living Coral choices!