8 Reasons We Adore Chip and Joanna Gaines
Chip and Joanna Gaines are probably the cutest home decorating duo to ever grace our television screens. If you've watched the show, then you're familiar with the couple's before-and-after renovations, which encompass Joanna's modern farmhouse style. As a couple, however, there's so much more you may not know. Here are reasons we find Chip and Joanna endearing and fascinating to watch.
1. Both are graduates of Baylor University in Waco, Texas--however, they never actually met while attending. The couple was honored in 2015 as Baylor's 'Alumni of the Year' for their remarkable achievement.
2. They have a "meet-cute" romance. Chip frequented an auto repair shop owned by Joanna's father. After seeing her in a family photo behind the counter, Chip knew she was the one for him. It wasn't until a later visit that he got to meet and charm her with his sense of humor. Two years later they were married. The rest is history.
3. Chip got bit by the reno bug first. Chip began flipping houses before graduating college. Later, when he met Joanna, she became hooked on the concept renovating undervalued properties for profit. Once Joanna got the hang of her design style, it didn't take long for her insight to become part of Chip's reality. Now, they own the multifaceted Magnolia, which includes Magnolia Homes, Magnolia Farms, and Magnolia Market.
4. Their first--and current--home were fixer-uppers. Chip and Joanna bought a fixer-upper shortly after they were married. Today, they live in a 100-year-old Victorian farmhouse, which was also a fixer-upper. The two transformed the small, two-bedroom house into the beautiful home it is today. The house is set on 40 acres of land and is home to approximately 60 animals.
5. They put the brakes on Magnolia Market for a while. Joanna initially opened Magnolia Market in 2003 with the intent of it being her own business--but after their first two kids came along, the couple closed it down so they could focus on growing and raising their family. They did, however, continue to work their Magnolia Homes construction business, which developed their skills as a team. After an 11-year break, Magnolia Market opened to the public in 2014.
6. They're TV stars who don't even own a TV. A six-month challenge of no TV in the beginning of their marriage turned into something permanent. They still haven't gotten around to buying one and they seem to be perfectly content with it.
7. They're devoted to their faith and family. Not only are they strong in their faith, they have four beautiful children named Drake, Ella, Duke, and Emmie. Nuff said.
8. She makes mistakes! Joanna's first big failure was when she had their first high-end flip painted without testing samples. What was supposed to be a tan stucco color, turned out to be more along the lines of mustard yellow. Lesson learned.