I’m a fan of farmhouse style but I don’t see a visit from Chip and Joanna Gaines happening anytime soon. Thankfully, there are some trademark characteristics of Joanna’s style, that can be
incorporated into your home. Here are 8 must-haves for getting your home to Fixer Upper status.
1. Outdoor appeal galore. A true Fixer Upper home has endless amounts of curb appeal. Curvy driveways, a fabulous front door, wooden rocking chairs, a porch swing, and window boxes overflowing with flowers and greenery, are just a handful of ways you can get the look.
2. Functional entryway. Whether it’s the entryway or a mudroom it has got to be functional and family-friendly. Think benches accented with pillows and cubbies for baskets. Not only does it look good, it’ll give you a leg up on the organization.
3. Cool wall decor. Farmhouse style is a bit different when it comes to wall decor. To get the look, think magnolia wreaths, vintage mirrors, wood pallet art, wall words or quotes, oversized clocks, vintage maps, large object art, and salvaged architectural pieces.
4. Open, yet comfortable floor plan. Farmhouse style is known for its open floor plan. Thankfully, comfortable seating, cozy fireplaces, and an abundance of texture make it look and feel warm and inviting. Slipcovers, durable rugs, modern pipe shelving, and shiplap are just some other things that give this decorating style so much charm.
5. Breezy, no-fuss kitchens. Apron-front sinks, vintage-inspired plumbing, subway tile, open shelving, dramatic lighting, an island complete with vintage bar stools, and even more shiplap are key elements within a Fixer Upper kitchen.
6. Unique doors. Doors tend to be a bit different when it comes to farmhouse style. You’ll often see antique doors, and even sliding barn doors, used to replace pantry, laundry, and even closet doors.
7. White on white. It’s not really farmhouse style unless there’s an abundance of white. In fact, you’ll often hear Joanna recommend painting things white whenever you’re in doubt. If you can master a monochromatic look, then you’ll be on your way to having a Fixer Upper home.
8. Greenery. Flowers and plants offer a finishing touch to farmhouse design style. Using vintage bottles or mason jars as vases and then grouping them together will help elevate the look.
Be sure to check back with us soon to see what HGTV Fixer Upper rugs and furnishings we’ll have to offer! Also, stop by our Pinterest page to check out our board on farmhouse charm.