Stripes were a huge hit at the fashion shows this spring, but in all reality, theyâ€™ve never really gone out of style. While considered the most neutral pattern out there, they are anything but bland and can be used successfully in many ways. Yet when it comes to a striped sofa, decorating around it often poses a challenge. If you have or are considering buying a striped sofa, keep on reading for some decorating solutions.
For a more conservative look:
- Surround the striped sofa with lots of white. White walls and furniture covered in white slipcovers are a good way to enjoy the stripes without feeling overwhelmed.
- Accent with natural fibers. Natural fibers like sisal, sea grass and jute are casual enough to go with anything. Pairing your sofa with fibers such as these will give the space a relaxed feel.
- Use solid neutrals. Having accent chair covered in solid, neutral upholstery, sitting upon a solid, neutral rug, will allow you to add some patterned pillows (in the neutral color range) effortlessly.
- Mix in some metallics. Although metallics are low key in color, they can still liven up a room because of their shine.
For a bolder look:
- Add in different patterns but keep the same material. When the weight and texture of your couch and accent pieces are similar, you can add in pretty much any pattern you like.
- Use the same stripes but in a different color family. Many fabric patterns come in a variety of colors, which makes it really easy to do this. Something like accent pillows in an identical pattern, yet in a contrasting hue, is a great way to add some interest.
- Bring in different stripes of the same color. Keeping the hue the same will easily allow you to bring in more stripes of varying widths, giving you a nice mix of wide and narrow.
- Cover other pieces of furniture in the same striped pattern and then finish off the look with solid pillows of softer hues.
Keep in mind that a striped couch can do several things be a focal point, set a theme, fuel a color palette so figure out what the space needs or what direction youâ€™d like to take and then run with it. We have a nice selection of striped fabrics, which could look beautiful in your home. You can browse our selection here.
Looking for a fabric store near you in Addison? Come by our Cutting Corners location in Dallas, located on Midway Road for the best deals on discount designer fabrics for drapery, upholstery and more! You are sure to find loads of fabric, trim, and accessories for every home interior project whether it is gorgeous drapery fabrics, light weight cottons or luxurious Dupioni Silks.