12 Simple Holiday Decorating Tips
The holidays are a time to be enjoyed, but all too often people find themselves in a rush to decorate their homes perfectly. The good news is that it doesn't take much to get your home holiday-ready--seriously! In fact, you can create an abundance of cheer easily. Here are some tips to help you out.
1. Use what you already have. Create a unique color palette by using what you've got right there at home. There's no rule that says the only holiday colors you can use are red and green!
2. Change the candlesticks. Swap out your current candlesticks for festive ones fitting for the holiday. Match them with your table linens if possible for an extra splash of style.
3. Decorate with sweet treats. Create a vignette of sweet treats such as candy canes, cupcakes, and chocolate kisses in various glass containers (i.e. cake plates, apothecary jars, etc) on a section of countertop.
4. Add personal touches with fabrics. Sew up a festive pillow cover or simply cut out shapes of snowflakes, birds or angels to nestle into a tree or wreath. Tip: For outdoor use, opt for felt or something synthetic--both are durable enough to withstand the cold elements.
5. Display ornaments in bowls. Glass ball ornaments in a bowl are not only simple, it looks good and doesn't cost much.
6. Spread out sprigs of green. Sprigs of pine tree needles can add some holiday cheer when tucked in unexpected areas.
7. Use presents as decor. Take some of your holiday presents and arrange them artfully in other areas of the home. You could even wrap up some empty boxes with plain brown paper and string for a classic look.
8. Merry up your mailbox. Wrap a pretty swag of pine around your mailbox post is simple yet pretty--especially when you enhance it with pinecones and red accents.
9. DIY ornaments. Take some plain ball ornaments and get to work with some glue, glitter, buttons, beads, seashells--or whatever else will hint at past memories.
10. Hang mini wreaths indoors. A large wreath is beautiful on the front door, but why not add some of that fragrant beauty inside? Mini fir wreaths hung from windows in sitting areas are certainly festive. If it's color you seek, opt for mini cranberry wreaths.
11. Choose glittering accents. Surfaces that catch the light will easily add sparkle to the room.
12. Have a Santa nearby. No matter how you decorate your home, there's one guy your home shouldn't be left without--Santa Claus!