6 Must-Haves for Big Living in a Small Home
There's no reason to forgo comfort, functionality, and style just because your home is compact. Sure, your decorating will be a bit limited, but there are certain things that every home needs--no matter what their size. Here are 6 must-haves that enhance your small home in a big way.
1. A drop spot. You don't have to have a large entryway to make your home feel welcoming. A small table with a vase of flowers, a mirror, and a few decorative wall hooks is all it really takes to make a nice spot to hang your coat and drop your keys.
2. A place to eat. As in, a real dining surface. Many small homes don't have a formal dining room, but there is usually a place that will fit a small table and chair set. Even if the only available space is in the living area, there's typically a solution. Sometimes a 3-piece bistro set is all it takes to keep you from eating at a desk or on the couch.
3. Full-sized seating. It is truly better to get a single full-sized sofa than it is to get several compact pieces of furniture for your living area. To keep it classy and comfortable, don't skimp. If you need extra seating, consider a plush ottoman or even a single wingback chair if there's room.
4. Color and pattern. Whites and neutrals are nice, but they're safe. Just because your home is smaller in size, doesn't mean you can't make a big statement. Don't avoid color and pattern--just be selective in how and where you use it. To keep from going overboard, try a pop of color on the ceiling or cover one piece of furniture in a fabric you adore.
5. Greenery. A pretty houseplant cleans the air and makes your space look homey. You can check out these low-maintenance houseplants if you don't have the greenest of thumbs.
6. Great lighting. Lighting is often inadequate in small spaces, so take some time to work in additional layers. Table lamps may require side tables you don't have room for, so think outside the box. Sconces, recessed lighting, and pendants are just some extra ways you can brighten your home.
Keep in mind that you don't need to fill every space in your home. In fact, doing so will only make your home appear cluttered and cramped. A little breathing room will help you enjoy your space even more.